Wednesday, October 15, 2008

In Louisville (Jackie)

I'm staying at The Brown Hotel, one of the conference hotels. Jonathan gets in late Friday; that means that I'm setting up the installation solo tomorrow morning (but fair's fair--he will set it up solo next month in Irvine). This sort of piece takes a lot more travel planning than my usual conference presentations; with those, I just need to make sure to bring extra copies of the paper in case I lose one. For this installation, however, I'm traveling pretty heavy: an Epson digital projector, two 9" DVD players, a spy cam and a radio receiver for that, an 8-pack of 9-volt batteries (for the spy cam), assorted cords, assorted bits of velcro and double-sided tape, a surge protector, and an extension cord. Oh yeah, and my laptop and a dozen blank CDs and DVDs. That was all carry-on, and I was surprised that I didn't get searched by the TSA people. It's a bit disturbing to me how much space (mental and physical) this sort of work takes on the part of its designers/authors. It definitely encourages collaboration and studio approaches to creation.

No comments: